5th Grade – Unit 2 – Lesson 1 of___
Scope & Sequence:
US History (Pre-Colonial Period to Independence)
Understand how historical events are caused by other important events.
Create a timeline of eras in Spokane Tribal history that show consistent sovereignty using a flow map. Understand the significance and connection of each event.
Spokane Tribal Values
- Events on timeline directly affected Spokane Tribal way of life.
***must be taught the day before
- Historical event
The teacher will post a blank timeline labeled with Eras:
“Fur Trading Era” 1788-1840
“Westward Expansion/Treaty Era” 1843-1881
“Boarding Schools/Assimilation Era” 1887-1943
“Relocation Era” 1953
“Civil Rights Era”
Insert Events into timeline under corresponding Era. (Events are attached)
Teacher will post the event, discuss the event, and add it to the timeline. As each event is added, class will identify the connection of each event.
- “Exit ticket” – Student’s generalized statements of events on timeline.
Text that connects to events on timeline for reading and extension. (archived Rawhide, Spokesman, Watchdog articles)
- Chart paper for timeline
- Printed events (attached)
- Archived articles from Rawhide, Spokesman, watchdog.
Creation of Timeline
Lesson Assigned To:
- Social Studies Unit Outlines/Standards GLEs – Unit 2 – 4.1.1
Common Core Standards