UNIT #1 – History, Geography
Scope & Sequence:
World History (600-1450) & Washington State History & Government (Tribal History)
Students will learn about the important roll David Thompson played in the history of fur trading with the Spokane and other tribes. Learn why the Spokane House was located where it is.
Student have an understanding of fur trading and the contributions made by the Spokane Tribal Indians beginning in 1807 at the Spokane House. Encourage and understanding of how life style was changed by the trading done at the Spokane House.
Spokane Tribal Values
- Science connection: Astronomy
- He was looking for a route to the Pacific.
- Indian trade (items)
- Pre-contact/Indian Trade (item)
- Exit ticket
- Cornel notes
- Contact Fosh for class presentation
- Draw a map of the houses that he helped established
- Map out fur empire. Identify fur empire.
- Create an interview questionnaire for David Thompson
- Youtube Video – David Thompson
- Article or Handout
- Maps that Thompson Created
- Journal Entries
- Pictures that he sketched
- Hand out of David Thompson received from Friends of the Spokane House Website
- Watch Youtube video of David Thompson.
- Students will create a timeline using the handout received from the Friends of the Spokane House on David